10.17.2008

Ode to the State Fair

I have to admit to an undying love for the State Fair. I never went to a one as a kid, though I did go to the County Fair a couple of times--but that's apples and oranges and I don't remember it much anyway. I wonder sometimes if the lack of a State Fair as a child has influenced my madness for it as an adult. I love going to the fair almost as much as I love Christmas, and that's really saying something (the lead-up to Christmas is totally better, though).

Two years ago, I went to the State Fair something like FOUR times. Each time with a different friend, and it was wonderful and fresh and new each time. Last year, however, I didn't get to go at all. October 2007 was completely insane and I didn't work a full week the entire month. Sadly, that meant no time for State Fair. : (

I fully plan on making up for it this year, though. Not with quantity, unfortunately, as I'm remarkably busy at the moment--but with quality. I'm going with one of my dearest friends in the world, who is the first person I think I ever went to the fair with. I haven't gotten to go with her since that very first year because she was in New Orleans doing FEMA work post-Katrina every year thereafter. She almost didn't make it this year, either; she was in Wisconsin for FEMA and didn't plan on coming back til our annual girls' weekend in the mountains at the end of October. She's back for good now, though, and it's just in time for the fair! I'm so excited!

I've never actually been to any state's fair other than North Carolina. That's enough for me, though, since ours rocks the house down! Literally, I plan out the food I'll eat (fried mushrooms, NCSU cookies & cream milkshake, corn dog, fried cheese--it's a miracle I don't make myself sick!), the rides I'll ride (CRAZY MOUSE!, the one with the classic rock playing, swings, that other little rollercoaster), the shows I'll see (those cloggers are such fun! and the little bluegrass bands! and all the prancing horses!), and the games I'll play (I dominate at Whack-a-Mole, dude). Then it's countdown to the fireworks. Oh, how I LOVE fireworks. Happiness is live fireworks.

Did I say how excited I am? Sunday can't get here fast enough!

No comments: